How To: Allow Blank Passwords For Windows Vista To Access Network Computers And Remote Desktop
Normally if you try to log on to a remote computer running Windows Vista using a blank password you receive an error message like “Your credentials did not work“.By default Windows Vista does not allow a blank password when connecting with remotely via remote desktop.But you can, configure Windows Vista to allow network users to log on to the computer with blank passwords
Method 1: Through Windows Vista Group Policy Editor
- Go to Start -> Run and type gpedit.msc
- This will open Group Policy Object Editor in Windows Vista
- Next Go to -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
- Double click on Accounts and look for -> Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only.
- Select disable this option.
Now when you browse other computers on the network it won’t require a password.
Method 2: Through Windows Vista Registry Editor
Open registry editor (regedit.exe) from Windows Vista start menu search and go to the following registry keys:
Now create a new DWORD value named “limitblankpassworduse” and set it to 0.