How To: Connect Two Computers Using USB Bridge Cable
Have you ever tried connecting two computers using USB cable.To connect two computers using a USB cable, you will need a special USB cable called USB Bridge Cable.It is a USB to USB cable with a hub in between.This special USB cable also known as host-to-host cable, USB-to-USB bridge cable, networking cable, data transfer cable, USB link cable, or some other similar name.These are the equivalent of the null-modem cable used for serial connections between two computers, or a crossover cable used for Ethernet connections.The USB Bridge Cable can be easily recognized because they will have a plastic enclosure with the connection circuitry usually in the middle of the cable. Through this network connection you can transfer files from one computer to another, and even build a small home or office network and share your Internet connection with other connected computer.
But setting up USB Bridge Cable is a bit tricky as you need to install a software before you connect the cable to the computers.In this article I will explain, how to connect two computers using a USB Bridge Cable:
- Start both the computers and Log in with you Windows account with administrator privileges.
- Take USB bridge cable and Insert one end of the USB bridge cable into a USB port of one of the computer, and the other end of the cable into the USB port of the second computer.
- Download and Install the driver software for the USB bridge cable. Make sure you download it from the cable manufacturer site.
- Install the USB bridge cable either as a link adapter or a network adapter. If you install it as a link adapter, you can only transfer the files between two computers. You cannot play networked games under such case. If you install it as a network adapter, you will have full network functionality.
- Your two computers are connected.
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) is commonly used in compter systems to connect printers, keyboards, digital cameras and external storage devices.
- DO NOT connect two computers using regular USB cables(Having two standard USB connectors at each end, don’t have a bridge chip).That can cause serious problems including shorting out power supplies and/or fires.
- If you are just planning on transferring files and have Windows Vista, you can use Windows Easy Transfer.