How To: Create a Password Reset Disk With a USB Flash Drive in Windows Vista
With Windows XP built in password reset disk utility, you can create a password reset disk so that you can easily recovered from the event of a forgotten password ,with out use of any third party recovery software’s. The only problem on Windows XP ,with using the password reset utility is that it requires a floppy drive for creating disk. Back then that was an acceptable solution, but these days, the floppy drive is uncommon.
With Windows Vista, the requirement for creating a password reset disk has changed and more advanced. Now you can select any media, including using a USB thumb drive to create password reset disk to reset your password.
To create a USB password reset disk on Windows Vista, click on Start \ Run and type Control Userpasswords in the Start Search box. In the Programs list, click and open Control Userpasswords and follow the steps below:
- Plug in the USB drive you want use to create the Windows Vista password reset disk.
- Click on Create a Password Reset Disk under Tasks.
- In the Forgotten Password Wizard welcome screen, click Next.
- On the next screen, select the drive letter for the USB flash disk drive you used in Step 1, and click Next.
- In the Current user account password box, type the password for the user account, and then click Next. If the user account does not have a password, leave the password box blank.
- When the progress bar reaches 100 percent, click Next followed by clicking Finish to close the wizard.
You can also disconnect the USB drive if it is no longer needed. You may also want to label the USB drive as a reminder that it is the password reset disk for future reference.
Now that you created the disk, to use it when you have forgotten your password, follow these steps:
- Plug in the USB flash disk drive you used to create the reset disk, and boot Windows Vista normally.
- At the Windows Vista login prompt click Reset Password and click Next at the Reset Password Wizard.
- On the next screen, select the drive letter next to The password key disk is in the following drive list and click Next.
- At the next screen type a new password, and type it again in the confirm field. Also type a hint that will remind you of the password if you forget it.
- Click Next then click Finish to close the wizard.
- Logon on to Windows Vista with the new password.
Note:Using a USB flash disk drive with the password reset utility, can be run on all editions of Windows Vista. Once you have created the password reset disk, it can not be used to reset a password for another Computer (only the Windows Vista Computer where the utility was run against). Also, consider keeping the USB flash memory disk in a safe location, since anyone can use the disk to reset the password and gain access to your Computer.