How To: Create And Joining HomeGroup in Windows 7
About HomeGroups in Windows 7
Microsoft’s new generation operating system Windows 7 includes a networking feature called HomeGroup,which makes it easier to create a home network where PCs share pictures, music, videos, documents, printers, and other resources with each other.The main goal of this Feature in Windows 7 is to enable multiple computers on the same network to share files to each other,so you can share large files to your friends and family without using a USB flash memory drive or an external hard drive.So simply says,Homegroups is Microsoft’s new networking solution in Windows 7 to sharing your libraries, files and folders easily.
If you access the HomeGroup tab in the Windows 7 Control Panel, you will be presented with the option to create a new HomeGroup or join a currently existing HomeGroup. After creating a new HomeGroup, Windows 7 asks you what libraries you want to share, and gives you a password for other computers on the network who want to join your HomeGroup. When the new PCs jump on the network, they get prompted to join the HomeGroup, and are asked for the password.
Creating your HomeGroup in Windows 7
- After setup your wired(cable LAN) or wireless network, Windows 7 networking center will prompt you to select the type of location.
- Once you select the Network, Windows 7 will start applying the necessary settings for your new network.
- The Windows 7 HomeGroup wizard will then prompt you to create your HomeGroup and choose what to share in your HomeGroup.
- The Homegroup wizard then generates a password which can be used to add other connected computers to your HomeGroup.
- Your new Windows 7 HomeGroup is now created and your Pictures, Music, Videos, Printers folders are ready to be shared with other computers when they join this HomeGroup.These folders – Music, Videos, Printers, Pictures – are called as your Libraries in Windows 7. Remember that we haven’t yet shared any files as such. Only the network shares have been created so far.
Joining HomeGroup in Windows 7
- When your other computer is connected to the same network where you created the HomeGroup, Windows 7 will prompt you that there is a HomeGroup available to join.
- Once you choose to join, Windows 7 will provide you with information about the HomeGroup on your network
- Click Join Now to join to your HomeGroup.
- You will be prompted to enter the HomeGroup password which was generated during the creation of that HomeGroup
- Entering the correct password will let you join the HomeGroup and choose what you want to share
Viewing your HomeGroup in Windows 7
- You can easily find your HomeGroup in the Windows 7 Explorer’s Navigation Pane.
- You can just click the Windows Explorer icon in the superbar and it will open your Libraries.
- You can put any files into the Libraries and share with the created HomeGroup.