How To: Customize Windows Vista Start Menu Instant Search(Add Wikipedia,Google,Yahoo Search)
Want to customize Windows Vista start menu Instant Search?
If you are a Windows Vista user,you surely use the the built-in search option that you see in the Start Menu.By default, Windows Vista start menu Instant Search feature only searches for files and folders on your local computer.You can also click on Search the Internet link on the start menu search, but this option will use the default search engine provider that you have set in Internet Explorer.By a simple trick you can add search Wikipedia, Google Search, Yahoo Search options to Windows Vista Start Menu Instant Search Box so that you can type the keyword from the search box and choose to search in either Wikipedia, Google or Yahoo websites.This trick is very useful because the search field is conveniently located in the Windows Vista Start Menu itself, so you can access it quickly with one click of the mouse or via the Windows keyboard shortcut.
By a simple group policy change you can add Search Wikipedia or Google or Yahoo at Windows Vista start menu instant search box, follow below steps:
- Click on Windows Vista Start button, then type gpedit.msc in the search bar, then hit enter key.
- The annoying User Account Control(UAC) is prompted and click Continue button to proceed launching Local Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Instant Search > Custom Instant Search Internet search provider
- Click on Properties to open the properties window.
- Under Setting tab, select Enable to enable the policy setting.
- At “the string or DLL resource” text box, type either Search Wikipedia, Search Google or Search Yahoo.
- At “the URL to use when invoking the custom internet search” text box, key in either one of the URL.
For Wikipedia Search add: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%w
To add Google Search in Windows Vista start menu search box,use the string: http://www.google.com/search?q=%w
To add Yahoo Search in Windows Vista start menu search box,use the string: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%w
- Click OK button to save the setting.
- You must either reboot your computer in order to take the effect of the group policy changes (If you want to apply the changed policy setting immediately, type gpupdate/force at command prompt then hit enter to execute the group policy update immediately).
This trick not work for Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium as they do not have the option to edit the group policy settings.