How To: Disable All Notification Area Balloon Tips In Windows Vista
One of the most annoying features of Windows Vista is the constant,irritating, work-interrupting balloon messages in the notification area.These balloon tips can be off Automatic Update,security reminders,anti-virus updates,speech balloon announcements or other system updates.By any of the two simple methods you can easily disable the balloon notifications in Windows Vista.
Method 1:Using Group Policy Editor
- Start up the Group Policy Editor in Windows Vista by press Windows+R, enter gpedit.msc and hit Enter.
- Click Continue to the Annoying Windows Vista User Account Control(UAC) Prompt
- Navigate to the following branch:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
- Double-click Turn off all balloon notifications and set it to Enabled
- Close Group Policy Editor and restart your Windows Vista computer.
Note: Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is not available in Windows Vista Home and Vista Home Premium editions,so do the second method.
Method 2: Using Registry Editor
- Click on Windows Vista Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
- Navigate to the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
- Create a new REG_DWORD (32 bit) value named EnableBalloonTips
- Double-click EnableBalloonTips, and then assign a value data of 0
- Exit the Registry Editor
- Log off Windows Vista, and then log back on.
Download, extract, and double-click on DisableBalloonTipsVista.reg to merge the registry values into the Windows registry to disable the balloon notifications in Windows Vista. You can use the included EnableBalloonTipsVista.reg file to rollback the changes.
Warning: Modifying the Windows registry can cause serious damage to your Windows Operating System.It is better to backup your Windows registry data before making any changes. Tomstricks.com is not responsible for any changes you may make to your system.