How To: Enable Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) on Windows Vista
Let’s say you have a computer that’s connected to the internet via a broadband modem. This article shows you how to share that computer’s internet connection (turning it into a router) with other computer(s) in your house without using a router or even a network switch in some cases.
If you want to share an internet connection with one additional computer on your network you’ll need an addition network (LAN) card installed on your computer if your broadband modem connects to your Windows Vista computer via a network (LAN) card.If your broadband modem connects to your computer via a USB cable you probably won’t have to purchase an additional network card because one will be available.Connect the two computers together with a regular CAT5 network cable. If you don’t want to run a wire or you want to make the shared internet connection wireless for a laptop, connect the computer sharing it’s internet to a wireless access point via a CAT5 cable and connect to the wireless access point wirelessly with the computers accessing the shared internet connection.
If you want to share an internet connection with two or more additional computers (a small network) you’ll need an additional network (LAN) card if your broadband modem is not connected to your computer with internet access via a USB cable. You’ll also need to purchase additional network cards (one for each connection), a switch, or wireless access point to network the computers you’re sharing the internet connection with.Connect the computers to the computer sharing it’s internet via a network switch and CAT5 network cable or a wireless access point and wireless devices installed on each computer accessing the shared internet.
Enable Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) on Windows Vista
- Click the Windows Vista Start orb and then select Control Panel.
- Click Classic View on the left side of the Control Panel.
- Open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Manage Network Connections on the left side of the Network and Sharing Center.
- Right-click the network connection you want to share and then select Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab at the top of the Network Connection Properties window.
- Check off Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s network connection.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now you can connect your computer, switch, or wireless access point to the extra network connection on the computer sharing it’s internet connection via CAT5 network cable.