How To: Fix Update Error 80070422 in Windows 7 or in Vista
Windows updates may fail in Windows 7 or in Vista with the Error Code 0×80070422 with the following error in the c:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log file.
80070422 SelfUpdate Failure Software Synchronization Windows Update Client failed to detect with error 0×80070422
This can happen for two reasons,
- “Windows Update” Service is disabled or not set to Automatic as Startup Type
- “Windows Modules Installer” Service is not set to manual as Startup type.
To resolve this Windows Vista or Windows 7 update issue, set the Startup type of respective services to “Automatic” & “Manual” respectively.
Follow the steps to resolve Windows Update error 80070422:
Important:You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.
- Press Start, type admin in the start menu search box, and click on Administrative Tools
- Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Properties
- On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected
- Next to Service status, check to see if the service is started. If it is not, click Start. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Similarly, set the “Windows Modules Installer” service startup type as “manual”.
Note:First you want to reveal the hidden admin account in Windows Vista and login to the hidden admin account.For this do the following:
- Click on Windows Vista Start orbs.
- In start menu search type: cmd
- Right-Click the cmd icon and choose “Run as Administrator”
- Now type the follwoing command:
net user administrator /active:yes
You should see a message that the command completed successfully, logoff and login to the true admin account.