How To: Fix “Windows Installer Service Could NOT Be Accessed” Error In Windows Vista
When you try to install a program which uses Windows Installer in a Windows Vista computer, you may receive the following error.
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
This error occurs when the Microsoft Windows Installer Service has been corrupted on the system. The Windows Installer Service is considered a core component of Windows operating systems like Windows Vista and XP.This error may occur even though Windows Vista is already in normal mode.
Method1: Re register the Windows Installer
In order to re register the Windows Installer in Windows Vista,first verify the exact location of the file msiexec.exe.This file is usually in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ but make sure that the file is in there. Use Windows Vista start menu Search to find it if necessary.
- Click on Windows Vista Start, then Run, and enter regedit.
- Click yes if UAC(User Account Control) prompts.
- Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ MSIServer
- In the right-hand pane, right-click ImagePath and click Modify.
- In the Value Data box enter the location of the msiexec.exe file followed by /v, i. e.,
- Continue through the UAC prompt and confirm that you wish to perform the action.
- Click OK then exit the registry editor.
- Restart your Windows Vista computer in Safe mode.To do this, hold down the F8 during reboot and select Safe Mode from the list of startup options.
- Click Start, then Run and enter
- Click OK, then click Start and restart the computer in Normal mode.
Method 2: Start the Windows Installer service
Sometimes, if the Windows Installer service is disabled in Windows Vista, you will get this error.Make sure that the Windows Installer service is started in Windows Vista.
- Click on Windows Vista Start, type Services.msc and press Enter.
- Double-click Windows Installer.
- Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.
- Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any.
- Click OK.
- Click on Windows Vista Start (button), right-click Computer, and then click Manage.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
- In the console tree, click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
- In the details pane, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Start.
Note: You can also start the Windows Installer service in Windows Vista by going to Start, Run and type in net start MSIServer into the Run box.
You can download the MSIServer patch from here.Once you download it,extract it and right-click on the msiserver.reg file and click Merge.Click Yes when asked to confirm.This patch adds the required registry keys for the Windows Installer service to work fine in Windows Vista.