How To: Fix Windows Updates Error Code 80073712 in Windows Vista
When you try to install Windows Vista SP1 from windows update you may receive the error code 80073712.This is the most common problem for many Windows Vista users.
The Windows Vista update issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc in the windows\system32) and you cannot install the WUA 3.0 even manually.
For fixing this Windows Vista update issue, delete the following file
Since Windows Vista security will not allow you to do this, here under the procedure to take ownership of the file.Do the following:
- Click on Windows Vista Start > type in “CMD” (without quotes) > Right Click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Type in the command given below to take the ownership of the files
C:\>takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
C:\>cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G [username] :F
- Replace [username] with your own username.
- Now delete pending.xml by
- Now you can download and install the Windows updates Agents x86 or x64
- Restart your PC and your Windows updates should run properly.