How To: Keep Users From Clearing Private Data In Internet Explorer 7(IE7)
Microsoft Windows Vista includes Internet Explorer 7, lets you clear all of your personal data (cookies, site browsing history, download history, etc). This is great feature if you are the one browsing where you shouldn’t be and you don’t want to get caught. But what if you are on the other end of the situation, for example a parent who wants to make sure their child is not getting into trouble on the web? In Windows Vista, you can set up the security settings so that users can not delete components of the browsing history in Internet Explorer 7. This allows you to review usage.
So how could you prevent clearing data in Internet Explorer 7? Easy, use group policy editor in Windows Vista. You can do this locally, or on your domain controller if you want to apply the changes across your network.
Here are the steps to prevent users from clearing data in Internet Explorer 7
- Run gpedit.msc (go to the Start menu search box and search for gpedit.msc and click on it when it’s found).
- In the left pane, expand the triangles next to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Internet Explorer.
Once you are in that section, scroll down and you will see three items:
“Turn off ‘Delete Browsing History’ functionality”
“Turn off ‘Delete Passwords’ functionality”
“Turn off ‘Delete forms’ functionality”
- Only the first one is necessary for what we are trying to accomplish, but the other two are related and you may want to use them.Select Delete Browsing History and you’ll see a bunch of stuff show up in the right pane.
- Each of the entries shown is a setting that can be adjusted. For example, one of them is called Prevent Deleting Temporary Internet Files.
- Double click on any one of these settings and select Enabled to enable the preventing of the particular action.
- Once you have the settings how you want them, click OK to save your changes.
Using these settings in Windows Vista group policy editor, you can make sure that Internet Explorer 7 history information is saved so that you can review it.