How To: Prevent Windows Vista From Connecting To Ad Hoc Wireless Networks To Secure From Wireless Threats
Some words about Ad Hoc wireless networks:
If you have two or more computers equipped with wireless adapters (WiFi cards), it is possible to easily connect them in a network by setting up a so-called “ad hoc” network, that is, a computer-to-computer network, without using an access point.If one of the computers on the Ad Hoc network has an internet connection, it is possible to share it with the other computers on the network, like in the case of a traditional local network.Each machine in effect acts as both an access point and as a client. Ad Hoc wireless networks are great for small meetings or for transferring large files from one machine to another in an area where a network connection is unavailable.The technical term of this mode of operation is IBSS – Independent Basic Service Set.This is dangerous sometimes because your Windows Vista computer could be hacked or penetrated in unsecured ad hoc wireless network.One of the most easiest ways to secure your computer from wireless threats, is to prevent Ad Hoc wireless networking in Windows Vista.
Here are quick steps to filter this ad hoc wireless network connecting feature in Windows Vista:
- Go to Windows Vista Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> then right click on Command Prompt (cmd.exe) and click Run as administrator.
- Command prompt window will open, then type netsh wlan show filters and hit Enter button to show the wireless filter setting on this computer.
- You can then type the command netsh wlan add filter permission=denyall networktype=adhoc to block ad hoc network connecting feature.
Note: If you see Error: function WlanSetFilterList returns 5. The requested operation requires elevation. after issuing the above command, you did not run this command prompt as administrator. Rerun the Windows Vista command prompt as administrator and you will have no problem.
- If you type netsh wlan show filters again, then you will see the filter you just set.
- Your computer will not get connected to any ad hoc wireless network anymore.
Note: You can type netsh wlan delete filter permission=denyall networktype=adhoc to delete this filter in case you really need to connect to ad hoc wireless network with your Windows Vista computer.