How To: Remove Help And Support Button From Start Menu
The “Help and Support” link on the Windows Vista and Windows XP Start menu provides online documentation to Microsoft Windows operating system and the basic applets such as Notepad, WordPad, etc. It also educates you on the programs windows operating system contains, including systems, accessories, and communications and entertainment programs and displays links to online help documents, including those provided by your system manufacturer. If you are an experienced Windows user and do not need this option, you can easily remove it from the Start Menu.
To remove the Help and Support link from Windows Vista Start Menu, try this:
- Right click on the Windows Vista Start button
- Click on Properties
- Click on the Customize button
- Uncheck the Help box
- Click on OK
There is one more way to remove Help and Support button in Windows Vista by Local Group Policy Editor. Following steps will show you how:
- Open Windows Vista Start Menu
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter
- Click Continue for the UAC prompt
- Click on User Configuration in left pane
- Go to Administrative Templates >Start Menu and Taskbar
- Right click on Remove Help menu from Start Menu
- Click Properties
- Then Click on Enabled
- And click OK
- Close Local Group Policy Editor window
To remove the Help and Support link from XP Start Menu, try this:
- Right-click Taskbar, choose Properties
- In the Start Menu tab, click Customize
- Select the Advanced tab
- Uncheck Help and Support option.
- Click OK, OK and close the dialog
For Windows Classic Start menu, you may need to modify the registry directly:
- Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
- Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced
- In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named NoStartMenuHelp
- Double-click NoStartMenuHelp and set it’s value to 1
- Close Windows registry editor and restart your computer for the changes.
Warning: Modifying the Windows registry can cause serious damage to your Windows Operating System.It is better to backup your Windows registry data before making any changes. Tomstricks.com is not responsible for any changes you may make to your system.