How To: Run Old Version Programs in Windows Vista
Microsoft’s operating system Windows Vista was designed with backward compatibility for software in mind, that is: much software was designed to run with all versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems before Vista will run just fine on Windows Vista. However some programs may not run well or will not run at all in Windows Vista. If you find that on old program doesn’t run correctly you can access Windows Vista’s program compatibility wizard so you can setup windows behave like on earlier versions of windows when you run that older program. Here is the trick to access program compatibility wizard and run older programs in Vista:
- Click on the Windows Vista Start menu and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel window click “Programs” link.
- Under the “Programs and Features” header click on “Use an older program with this version of Windows” link.The Programs Compatibility Wizard appears, read the Caution note that you should not use this wizard for older virus detection, backup or system programs, there are programs installed with Windows Vista as well as antivirus and backup software which are build specifically for Windows Vista and you should use those programs.
- Click the Next button, you can choose where the older programs is located and then click Next button.
- Click the programs you want to run with compatibility settings and click Next button.
- Now click the Operation System that the programs uses, you can choose from any version of Windows as Windows 95, Microsoft Windows (Service Pack 2) click the proper button and then click Next button.
- Select the display settings check box next to the display setting if the current display settings is causing the problems, if there is no display problems just click the Next button.
- If the program requires administrator privilege select the checkbox “Run this program as an administrator” and then click Next button.
- You can test your compatibilities settings by clicking the Next button.
- When the user account control dialog windows appears click the continue button.
- The program start and it works just fine (in our case, we hope it’s the same with you).
- Since the compatibility settings work we will live “Yes” button selected and click the Next button.
- Click the start application button in tool bar, if you want to send program compatibility information to Microsoft for their records click the “Yes” button, we don’t want to send our information’s so we click “No” button and then click the Next button.
- The Wizard is completed so close the Wizard windows by clicking Finish button. Now everything in this trick is finish. You can do this every time for any older programs to run in Windows Vista just repeat these steps.