Install Windows 7/Vista from Pendrive -Boot from USB
Do you own a laptop ? If yes, then you also must have faced a problem similar to mine atleast once in your laptop saga. A common problem with most of laptops is its DVD RW frequently showing complaints. It wont read some disks, some disks may get crashed inside and in some cases (like mine) your DVD RW may not even show any signs of life at all. Though a DVD RW is of not much use now a days, we all still find it unavoidable for Installing/Repairing your operating system – may it be Windows or Linux. But we still must install OS in one or other way for smooth functioning of our computer.
We have two options now. 1) Buy a portable DVD RW and get the job done. 2) Make a Pendrive bootable,load windows setup files and run installation direct from pendrive through USB port.
Here I am going to explain 2nd one – its so easy and fast. Once you learn how to do this, I am pretty sure you will rely on this method for your future installation needs. The difference in access speed and transfer rate from a USB flash memory is so notable (compared to DVD installation) – that you may need only half time than previous methods.So here we go
How to Install Windows 7/Vista from your USB Pen Drive by making it bootable ?
Steps are explained below:
1. You need a 4GB Flash Memory which is USB 2.0 compatible.
2. You need Windows setup file – for Windows 7 or Vista. Either download it or have your DVD files copied to your computer. (go and use your friends system or your own PC if your DVD RW is jammed!! lols )
3. Insert your Pen drive to USB port.
4. Run CMD.EXE by typing cmd in your Windows start search box or in the RUN command of your windows start menu.
5. The following commands listed below assumes that your Pendrive is named as DISK 1. Note: This is very important.When you do these steps in your computer, disk name for your pendrive may be different. It can be DISK 0 or even DISK 2. You have to ensure you type in correct DISK name. You can do this by typing list disk in your command prompt.
Type list disk and hit enter. Now identify number/name of your pen drive.
We here assume DISK 1 is pen drive/usb flash memory.
So the process begins here:
2. select disk 1
4. create partition primary
5. select partition 1
7. format fs=ntfs ( you can also format in fat32 or fat )
Okay! We are almost done. Now your USB flash memory is bootable.
Copy Windows 7/Vista files to your flash memory now. In case you have an ISO file – extract your ISO file to USB flash memory.
Now restart your computer. Go to BIOS and change boot option. Select “Boot from USB” option from your BIOS. Now Save and Exit.
Okay! We are done fully. Now restart your system and Install windows just like you install from your DVD.
Note: Make sure that once Windows Setup files are copied and a restart occurs – you may change boot option to HDD.
Comment here if you encountered any problems, I will try to help you.
Tell me how was your experience! How easy and how fast!!